- Gage, A. J., Akilimali, P. Z., Wood, F. E., Gay, R., Olivia Padis, C., & Bertrand, J. T. (2023). Evaluation of the effect of the Momentum project on family planning outcomes among first-time mothers aged 15-24 years in Kinshasa, DRC. Contraception, 125, 110088. LINK.
- Gage, A. J., Wood, F. E., & Gay, R. (2023). Expanding contraceptive choice among first-time mothers age 15-24 in Kinshasa: The Momentum pilot project. Frontiers in global women’s health, 4, 1087009. LINK.
- Hernandez, J. H., LaNasa, K. H., & Koba, T. (2023). Task-shifting and family planning continuation: contraceptive trajectories of women who received their method at a community-based event in Kinshasa, DRC. Reproductive health, 20(1), 24. LINK.
- Gage, A. J., Wood, F. E., Kittoe, D., Murthy, P., & Gay, R. (2022). Association of Male Partners’ Gender-Equitable Attitudes and Behaviors with Young Mothers’ Postpartum Family Planning and Maternal Health Outcomes in Kinshasa, DRC. International journal of environmental research and public health, 19(19), 12182. LINK.
- Hernandez, J., Babazadeh, S., Anglewicz, P., and Akilimali, P. (2022). As long as (I think) my husband agrees…: role of perceived partner approval in contraceptive use among couples living in military camps in Kinshasa, DRC. Reproductive Health, 19(1), 6. doi:10.1186/s12978-021-01256-y. LINK.
- Akilimai, P.Z., Nzuka, H.E., LaNasa, K.S., Wumba, A.M, Kayemba, P., Wisniewski, J, Bertrand, J.T. 2021. The Gap in Contraceptive Knowledge and Use between the Military and Non-military populations of Kinshasa, DRC, 2016-2019. Plos One. LINK.
- Babazadeh, S., Hernandez, J., Anglewicz, P., and Bertrand, J. (2021). The relationship between spatial access and modern contraceptive use: is proximity to a healthcare facility a determinant among women in Kinshasa, DRC? Gates Open Res, 5:80. LINK.
- Ntabona A, Binanga A, Bapitani JD, Bobo B, Mukengeshayi B, Akilimali P, Kalong G, Mujani Z, Hernandez J, and Bertrand JT. 2021. The Scale up and Integration of Contraceptive Service Delivery into Nursing School Training in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Health Policy and Planning. LINK.
- Akilimali PZ, Hernandez J, Anglewicz P, Kayembe KP, Bertrand JT. (2020). Incidence and determinants of Implanon discontinuation: Findings from a prospective cohort study in three health zones in Kinshasa, DRC. PLoS ONE 15(5): e0232582. LINK
- Hernandez, J.H., Akilimali, P., Glover, A.*, and J. Bertrand. (2020). Piloting the provision of Implanon NXT by community-based distributors in Kinshasa, DRC. BMC Women Health – Accepted June 15, 2020, LINK.
- Hernandez, J.H., Akilimali, P.*, & Mbadu, M. (2020). Provision of Emergency Contraceptive Pills in Kinshasa’s Informal Drug Shops: Results from a Mystery Client Study. International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 46, 89-97. doi:10.1363/46e9120
- Wood, F.E., Gage, A.J. & Bidashimwa, D. Insights on exclusive breastfeeding norms in Kinshasa: findings from a qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 20, 586 (2020). LINK.
- Anglewicz P, Akilimali P, Eitmann L, Hernandez J, Kayembe P. (2019). The impact of interviewer-respondent familiarity on family planning outcomes in the Democratic Republic of Congo. BMJ Open. 9(1):1-9. LINK
- Hernandez JH, Akilimali P, Mbadu FM, Glover A, Bertrand J. (2018). Process evaluation of a large-scale community-based contraceptive distribution program in Kinshasa, DRC. Global Health Science and Practice. 6(4):657-667. LINK
- Mwembo, A., Emel, R., Koba, T., Sankoko, J. B., Ngay, A., Gay, R., & Bertrand, J. T. (2018). Acceptability of the distribution of DMPA-SC by community health workers among acceptors in the rural province of Lualaba in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: a pilot study. Contraception. LINK
- Akilimali P, Philip Anglewicz P, Nzuka HE, Kabanda GK, Hernandez JH, Patrick Kayembe P, Bertrand JT. (2018). Differences in Family Planning Outcomes between Military and General Populations in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo: A Cross-Sectional Analysis. BMJ Open 2018;0:e022295. LINK
- Mbadu Muanda, F., Gahungu, N.P., Wood, F. et al. Attitudes toward sexual and reproductive health among adolescents and young people in urban and rural DR Congo. Reprod Health 15, 74 (2018). LINK
- Bertrand, J. T., Bidashimwa, D., Makani, P. B., Hernandez, J. H., Akilimali, P., & Binanga, A. (2018). An observational study to test the acceptability and feasibility of using medical and nursing students to instruct clients in DMPA-SC self-injection at the community level in Kinshasa. Contraception. LINK
- Hernandez, J. H., Akilimali, P., Glover, A., Emel, R., Mwembo, A., & Bertrand, J. (2018). Task-shifting the provision of DMPA-SC in the DR Congo: Perspectives from two different groups of providers. Contraception. LINK
- Kwete, D., Binanga A, Mukaba T, Nemuandjare T, Kyungu MT, Mbadu M, Sutton P, Bertrand J. Family Planning in the DR Congo: Encouraging Momentum, Formidable Challenges. Global Health Science and Practice. 2018 Mar 30;6(1):40-54. LINK
- Hernandez, J. H., Mbadu, M. F., Garcia, M., & Glover, A. (2018). The provision of emergency contraception in Kinshasa’s private sector pharmacies: experiences of mystery clients. Contraception, 97(1), 57-61. LINK
- Hernandez, J. H., Muanda, M., Garcia, M., & Matawa, G. (2017). Awareness and Perceptions of Emergency Contraceptive Pills Among Women in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. LINK
- Bertrand J, Makani PB, Hernandez J, Binanga A, Akilimali P, Mukengeshayie B,. Babazadeh, S, and Binanga A. Acceptability of the Community-level Provision of Sayana® Press by Medical and Nursing Students in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Contraception. 2017 Sep;96(3):211-215. LINK
- Babazadeh S, Lea S, Kayembe P, Akilimali P, Eitmann L, Anglewicz P, and Bertrand J. (2017). Assessing the contraceptive supply environment in Kinshasa, DRC: trend data from PMA2020. Health Policy and Planning. LINK
- Anglewicz, P, Corker J, Kayembe P. (2017). The Fertility of Internal Migrants to Kinshasa. Genus: 2017 73:4. LINK
- Mbadu Muandu M, Ndongo PG, Messina LJ, Bertrand JT. (2017). Barriers to Modern Contraceptive Use in Rural Areas in DRC. Culture, Health & Sexuality. 19(9):1011-1023. LINK
- Mbadu Muandu M, Ndongo PG, Taub LD, Bertrand JT. (2016). Barriers to Modern Contraceptive Use in Kinshasa, DRC. Plos One. 11(12): e0167560. LINK
- Binanga, A and Bertrand JT. (2016). Pilot research as advocacy: the case of Sayana Press in Kinshasa DRC. Global Health: Science and Practice. 4(4): 542–551. LINK
- Hernandez J, Akilimali P, Kayembe P, Dikamba N, Bertrand J. (2016). The value of spatial analysis for tracking contraceptive supply for family planning: the case of Kinshasa, DRC. Health Policy and Planning. 31(8):1058-68. LINK
- Mukaba T, Binanga A, Fohl S, Bertrand JT. (2015) Family planning policy environment in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: levers of positive change and prospects for sustainability. Global Health Science and Practice. 3(2):163-173. LINK
- Kayembe P, Babazadeh S, Dikamba N, Akilimali P, Hernandez J, Binanga A, Bertrand JT. (2015). Family Planning Supply Environment in Kinshasa, DRC: Survey Findings and Their Value in Advancing Family Planning Programming. Global Health: Science and Practice. 3(4):630-45. LINK
- Bertrand, JT, Kayembe P, Dikamba N., Mafuta E., Hernandez J., Hellen J., & Binanga A. (2014). Using mapping of service delivery sites to increase contraceptive availability in Kinshasa, DRC. International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. 40(2). LINK